- Since the league began in 2007 the rules of the league have changed almost yearly.
- Currently, the league has 10 teams. Each club played each other twice during the season, at home and away.
- At the end of the season, the team with the most points wins the league.
- In the case of a tie then head to head record is looked upon. If that is also tied, the goal difference is looked considered.
- Clubs from the I-League primarily participate internationally in the AFC Cup, however, some I-League clubs have had the chance to qualify for the AFC Champions League.
- From 2007 to 2011 the champions of the previous season of the I-League were allowed to play in a qualifier for the Champions League.
- From 2011 to 2013 no I-League club played in a qualifier till Pune in 2014 after the club passed the AFC Licensing Criteria.
- However, to this day, no I-League club has actually qualified for the AFC Champions League.