Press "Enter" to skip to content

ATK and Mohun Bagan announce merger – to compete as ATK Mohun Bagan in next year’s ISL

ATK and Mohun Bagan announce merger - to compete as ATK Mohun Bagan in next year's ISL

The owners of ATK FC – the RPSG Group have acquired a majority stake in Mohun Bagan AC – the 130 year old club which competes in the I-League. The two clubs will become a single entity next season and compete as ATK Mohun Bagan in the 2020-21 edition of the Indian Super League.

The RP-Sanjiv Goenka Group will own up to 80 percent of the shares with Mohun Bagan Football Club (India) Private Limited taking control of the remaining 20 percent.

RPSG Group which has a 200-year-old legacy is humbled and honoured to welcome Mohun Bagan with folded hands and open arms to the RPSG family.

RPSG Group is known for acquiring and growing legacies such as the 120-year-old CESC, 150-year-old Spencer’s Retail, and the 100-year-old Saregama.

Personally, it’s an emotional reunion for me as my father Late Shri R P Goenka was a member of Mohun Bagan.

Dr. Sanjiv Goenka, Chairman, RPSG Group

As much as we want the romance of the Maroon and Green jersey and it’s 130-year-old tradition to continue, there comes a time when romance almost invariably requires a partner named practicality. To usher into the new era of football, you need bigger investments and a corporate force to take it forward. This is undoubtedly a harsh and the bigger truth.

In this context I am very thankful to India’s one of the most well-known industrialists and our Kolkata’s very own Dr. Sanjiv Goenka for his investment through RPSG. Their vision on Indian football aligns with our philosophy and our combined forces will surely take the club to a bigger and greater heights. In this respect it is a red-letter day in the history of this iconic institution.

I thank Mr. Goenka profusely for partnering our dream. His father, the Late R.P. Goenka was a good friend of mine. Apart from his legendary acumen as a businessman, RPG had a huge fondness for Mohun Bagan and was one of our members. Whenever we met business took a back seat and discussions on the club moved in the forefront. I can assure millions and millions of Bagan supporters spread across the globe, that the poetry will continue. Now that the prose is ready to lend a helping hand.

Mr. Swapan Sadhan Bose, Chairman, Mohun Bagan Football Club Pvt. Ltd.

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Indian Football: All Things Considered
%d bloggers like this: