FULL-TIME: Chennaiyin FC 0-1 ATK
ATK: 48′ David Williams
Venue: Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Chennai
|6||shots on target||4|
|10||shots off target||2|
Source: Indian Super League
EXPECTED GOALS [xG]
- Cliche, but, the internet definition of insanity is “trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.”
- Since the start of last season, Chennaiyin have done nothing except change the players they had. Formation, tactics, style – nothing has changed.
- For once, they tried a set piece today but didn’t execute well. Poorly prepared
- Familiar failings for Chennaiyin as they are yet to score a goal this ISL season. This brings back memories from last season where they finished bottom of the table with 16 goals in 18 league matches.
- Foreign player recruitment like last season looks questionable with Andre Schembri, Dragos Firtulescu, Rafael Crivellaro and Nerijus Valskis well under-par. The system hasn’t changed either with John Gregory offering little in terms of innovation in his lineups or tactics.
- In last night’s game, Chennai flattered to deceive after creating multiple opportunities throughout the game, but failed to find the back of the net.
- Chhangte ran riot in the first half on the left flank with ATK lining up with three at the back, but in the second half the Kolkata side double-teamed and nullified the winger.
- Atrocious refereeing reared its head again with ATK denied a penalty for a foul on Roy Krishna and were wrongly called offside when through on goal.
- Chennaiyin’s 36-year-old defender Lucian Goian looks like he has seen better days. The defender laboured through the game and was culpable for the goal they conceded.